Choose services that use HTTPS to stay safer online.
Get started by following these simple steps:
- When you browse the Internet, look at the address bar (where the website’s address is displayed). If the address starts with http:// AND NOT httpS:// be aware that your activity online can be easily monitored!
- Switch to an email provider like Gmail or Hotmail/Live Mail/Outlook that uses HTTPS by default at every stage of your email session, not just when you log in. If you use Yahoo mail, make sure to go to your settings and turn on HTTPS.
- Change your Facebook settings to use HTTPS. Log in to your account > “Got to Account Settings” > “Security” > Click “Edit” next to “Secure Browsing” > make sure secure browsing is enabled > click “Save Changes”.
- Use “HTTPS Everywhere.” HTTPS Everywhere is an extension you can add to your Firefox, Chrome or Opera Internet browser to make your communications with many major websites more secure. Check it out and install it today: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere.
- Sign the petition to demand that the world’s top 100 websites use HTTPS: https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/ProtectOurPrivacy